Reading Reflection 2

The book I read was The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users by Guy Kawasaki.

1) The general theme of the book is that social media is essential these days for the success or failure of a business and that utilizing a bottom-up strategy in these platforms will help to gain digital assets, attract followers, and build the foundation for your business.

2) The book connected with what I am learning in ENT 3003 by how it emphasizes the importance of looking at the capital you have and optimizing it for your business. How your profile is and how your business profile is are things that are so important to attracting a customer base and reaching out into new markets. Additionally, the book helped enhance the concepts of networking by showing how social media also helps connect professionals and build public relationships that assist businesses in growing and gaining popularity.

3) Based on the book, I would design an exercise that involves creating a prototype social media page for the business idea, planning out a schedule for posts, and thinking about what audience to target and what the best way to do so is.

4) My biggest 'aha' moment was when I started reading the chapter on Twitter. I was surprised that he had devoted a whole chapter to Twitter, and about a feature that I barely knew about because it's not very popular. However, it gave me the 'aha' moment because I thought the book would be about doing what is popular to gain followers and maximize who you reach. However, this made me realize that it's important to also look at the outliers because there are potential customers to reach in those areas too.

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed reading about your reflection of The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users by Guy Kawasaki due to its relevance in today's time. Social media does seem to make or break people and businesses. It can be an instrument of use but also an instrument of destruction to ones reputation. I couldn't relate to your question about twitter since I personally do not have a twitter so it was enlightening to read about and gain some insight.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment